Getting back to business

When I crashed out of academia in early 2017, I had been working on an article comparing Good Vibrations (dirs. Lisa Barros D'Sa & Glenn Leyburn, 2012) and No (dir. Pablo Larraín, 2012) as part of a process of expanding my research on film and visual culture in contemporary Northern Ireland out to other post-conflict or post-dictatorship societies. I would guess that at that time with my brain working the way it could, a solid couple of weeks' peace to concentrate on it would have seen the completion of a presentable draft. But the illness from stress was pervasive and debilitating, and the topic re-traumatising, so I have struggled to return to it in a meaningful way. 

Wanting to maintain my blog as a regular but not-too-strenuous output stream to keep writing, I figured I'd look at my abandoned projects to see if there was anything worth mining to put out there in case the ideas were useful to others. I would also like to return to my video essay plans that became sidetracked by making the podcast.

Well, the only way to do it is to do it, so it's time to stop mithering and get on with something. Watch this space, because I'm making plans.

Screening Good Vibrations at Lancaster University in February 2016 (with broken ribs). Apologies, I cannot remember the name of the photographer who was a PhD student in Art.


 

Slip me a fiver at https://www.buymeacoffee.com/peablair

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You owe me twenty quid: Tyres in Spaced

Re-viewing The X-Files: I Want To Believe (dir. Chris Carter, 2008)

Spirited Away