Rejected Podcast Producer Application - NAARCA, April 2022

Experience producing podcasts


I have been making Audiovisual Cultures with a consistent biweekly output for four years. It is an arts and culture podcast exploring different aspects across film, art and media with an emphasis on their significance in or impact on culture more broadly. The episode format is determined each time by the topic and who is involved and includes interviews with practitioners or researchers about their work, analysis of specific works or phenomena with a guest or co-host, scripted essays, panel discussions, and conference coverage. In the past couple of years I have mostly recorded remotely using Zoom, Zencastr or live streams and have connected with fascinating guests all over the world. AVC is regularly downloaded in at least 20 countries.


Through making Audiovisual Cultures I have developed knowledge and skills in audio recording and editing, including extensive use of Digital Audio Workstations and editing software, and ways to achieve the best possible quality from remote recording set-ups. For efficient administration and guest booking, I use Google Forms, Sheets and Calendly. For marketing, in addition to social media and post scheduling apps, I maintain a detailed website (https://audiovisualcultures.com) with information, transcripts, links to different listening platforms and a contact form. 


I have developed strong listening and interviewing skills, and I am a thorough and highly competent researcher. I have also produced podcasts by commission, including collaborating on an International Women’s Day panel led by artist Rachel Brook and for arts charity Monkfish Productions, both in North East England in 2020. 


Why interested?

 

I have cared passionately about the environment since early childhood and am always seeking to learn more about what we can do as individuals and as societies to address the urgency of the climate and ecological crises and their broader social, political and cultural ramifications. I have been involved with my local Green Party as an activist and campaigner since 2016, and was a Green supporter for many years before. During the pandemic, my advocacy has largely taken place online in joining Zoom rallies involving digital direct action as well as improving and sharing my knowledge on the situation. This producing role presents an opportunity for me to become an active participant in effecting meaningful change and a vector for sharing knowledge, action points and hope. I am excited that this project brings together so many organisations and diversity in perspectives, which is important in showing what we can achieve by combining our efforts, because climate change - as with other major issues we face - does not stop at geopolitical borders. I would love to use my skills to facilitate this work. 

 

Porthmadog, April 2018

If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe and visit https://www.buymeacoffee.com/peablair to support my work - thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You owe me twenty quid: Tyres in Spaced

Re-viewing The X-Files: I Want To Believe (dir. Chris Carter, 2008)

Spirited Away