Failed Cover Letter - Cruse Bereavement, Dec 2019

Dear Recruitment Panel,

Application for the post of Hub Administrator – Tyneside

I was delighted to learn of this opportunity through my friend ___, and I enclose my CV with this letter for your consideration.

Through previous work experience and qualifications, I am highly competent in using the full suite of Microsoft Office applications and their open source equivalents, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as Outlook. I have training in using content management systems for maintaining websites and am familiar with WordPress. I am quick to learn new systems and if I do not know or understand something, I will make a point of finding out. I work diligently and make the utmost effort to pay attention to detail, for which I have received praise from proofreading clients and publishers of my academic work. I manage my time and tasks by keeping my diary up to date, making prioritised lists and keeping a well-labelled archive of documents. I keep ahead so that I can be flexible if unforeseen issues arise, while aiming to be prepared for a range of outcomes. I keep calm under pressure and am adept at finding creative solutions to problems, and value the input of others when making decisions. When in new roles, I equip myself with the relevant knowledge as quickly as possible to monitor and anticipate needs, such as supplies, stock or information, and to be aware of and act according to policies.

Through my voluntary work with Action Language since early 2018 I have expanded my communication skills and abilities in working with vulnerable people. I completed the ten-part training programme offered to teaching assistants which included sessions on cultural sensitivity and the asylum system. I have learnt many different methods for communicating effectively when there is a breakdown in verbal language, for example, through gesture and positive body language like smiling and eye contact that shows someone you really see them and their experience. New challenges are continually presented when enrolling new students and helping them complete the registration form. I have developed skills in explaining the meanings of questions, whether through finding out the relevant words in another language, or simply reading the form out slowly and trying different words the person is more likely to know if they can speak some English. I originally joined as a teaching assistant, but increasingly I wanted to move into the kind of administrative role this opportunity at Cruse presents, so I changed to the weekly enrolment session to gain more appropriate experience.

My experience prior to that listed in my CV was centred on the early career stages of academia. In my teaching roles from 2012 to 2017 at Queen’s University Belfast, University of Aberdeen, Newcastle University, Lancaster University and University of Salford, my administrative duties ranged from email, recording attendance and assessments with spreadsheets, participating in departmental meetings and pastoral care to roles such as library liaison, social media officer and careers advisor. I became adept at working independently, managing heavy workloads and prioritising tasks to ensure I met deadlines to a high standard. Often working on fixed-term contracts, these organisation skills kept my head above water as I moved around for work. Now settled in Newcastle, I want to work in areas where I can use the skills and knowledge I have developed to help others.

Having volunteered for other charities such as Action Language and the Newcastle Abbeyfield Society, and being involved with initiatives hosted by Good Space, I can combine my growing knowledge of and networks in the charity and voluntary sectors with experience in event organisation gained through my academic posts and studies. As a volunteer I am happy to say I have seen examples of best practice in supporting volunteers which I am keen to pass on. I thrive off variety and enjoy learning new skills. In working with vulnerable people, I am also aware of safeguarding issues and the importance of keeping personal data secure.

The job at Cruse appeals to me because I understand from personal experience the complexities and sensitivities of grief; I lost many close family members before turning 20 and I grew up in Northern Ireland during the last half of the civil conflict. Much of my academic research involves experiences of trauma and grief around violent death. Through working with displaced and traumatised people from across the globe in Action Language, loss in all its forms is a subject to which I am accustomed. If offered the post, as well as serving the smooth running of the hub I know I can be a welcoming, understanding and helpful presence to Cruse’s clients. I am an enthusiastic supporter of the work Cruse does, and I feel my skills and personable demeanour will prove to be assets to the organisation.

To maintain my voluntary work and my freelance writing and research, I would prefer to be considered for a 14-hour role, although I am happy to be considered for the 28 hours if a job share is not viable. I will be pleased to demonstrate my skills and knowledge further at interview, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours faithfully,

Paula Blair


Enc.

Belfast Harbour, December 2015

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You owe me twenty quid: Tyres in Spaced

Re-viewing The X-Files: I Want To Believe (dir. Chris Carter, 2008)

Spirited Away